These days, the Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Surroundings and Weather Modify, introduced that the Government of Canada has designated Huge Glace Bay Lake as Canada’s newest National Wildlife Place.
The freshly designated Countrywide Wildlife Area (NWA) in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, includes 392 hectares of estuary and marsh waters enclosed by a barrier seaside. The web site also consists of mixed woodland, shallow coastal h2o, and eelgrass flats and encompasses the Large Glace Bay Lake Migratory Hen Sanctuary (MBS) as well as an further 14 hectares.
The NWA designation will aid conserve the landscape to protect species at danger, such as the Piping Plover, American Black Duck, Canada Goose, Typical Goldeneye, and Bufflehead. The NWA designation will also guidance the administration of wildlife conservation, study, and interpretation.
The Govt of Canada will continue to grow its secured locations network, tackle the twin crises of local weather improve and biodiversity reduction, and satisfy its commitments to conserve 25 percent of lands and inland waters in Canada by 2025, and get the job done toward 30 percent of each individual by 2030.
“Increasing conserved and shielded locations is a single of the most crucial actions we can consider to control the ongoing loss of nature and biodiversity. These destinations not only keep deep indicating for Canadians, they connect landscapes, store carbon, establish understanding and understanding, and encourage people today to link with nature in respectful and sustainable strategies.”
– The Honourable Steven Guilbeault, Minister of Environment and Weather Modify
“Massive Glace Bay Lake is a fixture in our community and I am pleased that it is really becoming selected as Canada’s latest National Wildlife Space. It usually means increased protection for migratory birds and species at chance, and long-term conservation for the land and inland waters. Cape Bretoners and website visitors can continue to get pleasure from the natural splendor of the area. It really is a acquire-win-get circumstance.”
– MP Mike Kelloway, Cape Breton–Canso, Nova Scotia, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coastline Guard
- Significant Glace Bay Lake Migratory Fowl Sanctuary was established in 1939 and offers safe and sound slide migration habitat for quite a few crucial bird species, which include the Canada Goose.
- As a Countrywide Wildlife Location, Big Glace Bay Lake will continue being open up to the general public and readers. The rules allow most of the pursuits that currently happen at the Migratory Chook Sanctuary web-site to go on.
- To guarantee regularity with the pursuits permitted in most other NWAs in Canada, tenting, lighting or keeping a fireplace, and the possession of direct fishing tackle less than 50 grams are not permitted.
Environment and Climate Alter Canada’s Fb web page
Resource Setting and Climate Transform Canada
For further more facts: Kaitlin Electrical power, Push Secretary, Business office of the Minister of Atmosphere and Weather Alter, 819-230-1557, [email protected] Media Relations, Ecosystem and Climate Change Canada, 819-938-3338 or 1-844-836-7799 (toll-totally free), [email protected]