WINNIPEG, MB, July 18, 2022 /CNW/ – Throughout the state, Canadian farmers are on the frontlines of local weather modify. Today, the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Foods, the Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, introduced 28 added projects less than the Agricultural Thoroughly clean Technologies (ACT) Program. This expenditure of additional than $8.7 million will support the adoption of thoroughly clean systems across Canada.
Investments in thoroughly clean know-how are supporting farmers who must encounter the issues of today—from drought to severe weather—and propelling local weather motion to construct a nutritious potential for Canada. This new investment builds on operate now beneath way to enable farmers lessen greenhouse gas emissions and establish technologies to adapt to local weather modify.
In Manitoba, additional than $2.5 million will guidance 5 new projects. Under the ACT Program, farmers and agri-corporations will have obtain to funding to support build and undertake the most up-to-date cleanse technologies to decrease greenhouse gas emissions and improve their prolonged-time period competitiveness. This funding is concentrated on a few precedence locations: eco-friendly strength and electrical power effectiveness, precision agriculture and bioeconomy answers.
Through the recently expanded ACT Method, it is anticipated that present pollution degrees will be diminished by up to .8 megaton as a final result of fuel switching and lowered fuel use. This software is presently aiding hundreds of farmers with contributions of at minimum $50,000 to adopt thoroughly clean systems, which include new grain dryers or barn heating systems.
The Government of Canada continues to make investments to develop an enabling natural environment for the investigate, enhancement and adoption of clean up know-how. This will assistance farmers and agri-firms push the improvements required to attain a minimal-carbon economy and sustainably feed a increasing world inhabitants.
“Current droughts and flooding throughout Canada are a further stark reminder that Canadian farmers are on the front traces of local weather improve. This new wave of ground breaking inexperienced initiatives introduced these days below our Agricultural Clear Technological innovation Program demonstrates our intention to help farmers enhance the stewardship of the land, whilst increasing their efficiency and profitability.”
– The Honourable Marie-Claude Bibeau, Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Meals
“Below in Manitoba, we are functioning intently with farmers to establish and implement farming techniques to sequester carbon and tackle greenhouse gasoline emissions. Via investments in neighborhood assignments, this kind of as Baker Farms’ new grain dryer, we continue on to enable the adoption of procedures that will accelerate emission reductions in the agricultural sector. With pivotal study and growth under way, this sort of as the get the job done in the lab at Hylife Ltd. to offset fertilizer emissions, the long term of farming in Canada is promising.”
– The Honourable Jim Carr, Member of Parliament for Winnipeg South Centre
- As portion of the Emissions Reduction Plan launched in March 2022, the Govt of Canada has committed over $1 billion in new funding to accelerate the agricultural sector’s progress on reducing emissions and to remain a international chief in sustainable agriculture. This commitment consists of an more $330 million to the Agricultural Cleanse Technological innovation (ACT) Plan, tripling the support for innovation and the development and adoption of clear technologies in the agricultural sector, and an extra $470 million for the On-Farm Climate Motion Fund to broaden and increase the program previous 2024.
- Announced nowadays, through the ACT – Adoption Stream, 26 accepted initiatives will assistance the adoption of clear technologies, with a priority on these that meaningfully decrease GHG emissions.
- And as a result of the ACT – Analysis and Innovation Stream, two accredited projects will support pre-market innovation such as study, growth, demonstration and commercialization of agricultural thoroughly clean systems.
- Initiatives and remaining funding are subject matter to negotiation of a contribution agreement.
- Method funding for the ACT – Adoption Stream is up to $100 million above 5 many years with $50 million set aside for the purchase and set up of much more effective grain dryers for Canadian farmers, and up to $10 million more than the subsequent two a long time (2021–2023) is to be employed toward powering farms with cleaner electricity and transferring off diesel gas.
Backgrounder – Database: Agricultural Clean up Technological innovation Plan assignments in Canada
Affiliated Inbound links
2030 Emissions Reduction Plan
Agricultural Clear Technology Program: Investigate and Innovation Stream
Agricultural Clear Know-how Plan: Adoption Stream
Agricultural Local climate Remedies
Comply with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn
World wide web: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
Resource Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
For additional data: Marianne Dandurand, Push Secretary, Business of the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Meals, [email protected], 343-541-9229 Media Relations, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, 1-866-345-7972, [email protected]